Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Holiday leftovers transformed


One of our holiday traditions is to make pizza together on Christmas eve. (There's T. and DD admiring our handiwork.) My mom started it as a way to have a low-key meal during the otherwise hectic season. I love it because it's something that we can do together.

However, we invariably have a ton of the toppings left over, as I try to have a variety so that there's a lot to choose from. This year our leftover toppings included: onions, vegetarian ground "meat," pineapple, artichoke hearts, several types of cheese, and roasted peppers.

By adding a couple of staples, I've gotten 2 meals out of these leftovers.

Lemon-Garlic Linguini Mediterranean
The first was a pasta dish with sauteed leeks, artichoke hearts, roasted peppers, feta, sundried tomatoes, and a dash of olive oil. I sauteed all of those briefly and tossed with lemon garlic linguini from my favorite pasta vendor (and all around cool people) Artistic Eats NY. (I added the leeks and the sundried tomatoes, which I had dried over the summer.) YUM!

Butternut Enchiladas
Tonight I made enchiladas by sauteeing the onions and the fake ground meat, and adding cubes of butternut squash which I had previously roasted. I filled tortilla shells with this filling, topped with the leftover pizza cheese, and poured tomatillo sauce (which I had made with my garden's tomatillo windfall in late summer and frozen) over all of that. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes and enjoy!

Leftovers provide a great opportunity to experiment. In this case they also gave me incentive to clean out the fridge, which turned into a 3-hour job. We won't talk about what I found in there.

Now I just have to decide what to do with the pineapple!

1 comment:

Tracy from Rah Cha Chow said...

We have a family tradition of making pizza, too (only not on Christmas Eve). Hope you had a good one. Happy New Year!

AddThis

Bookmark and Share