Thursday, August 19, 2010

Food, glorious food

047

I bought a trifle bowl this summer, just so I could make fruit trifles, using whatever fruit is in season, and the vanilla cake recipe from Warren Brown's "United Cakes of America." I love this cookbook. He also includes Puerto Rico and D.C., citing their deserved constitutional rights! This trifle has fresh local peaches and huge blackberries.

045

I planted about 10 varieties of beans this year. This is the Yin-Yang bean from Territorial Seeds. Gorgeous.

Here are some of the fresh bean varieties.

038

This one is called Violet Podded Stringless.

033

Here's one day's harvest: tomatilloes, beans, cucumbers, peppers, more dried beans, and cherry tomatoes.

041

Meanwhile, my neighbor's squash is taking over my driveway. It's all good, though. We are both curious to see what kind of fruit there is. There are at least 2 varieties, and one appears to be a gourd variety, and the other might be zucchini.

030

More updates to come! I hope you are enjoying the joys of late summer!

2 comments:

jodycb said...

I love the yin-yang bean! When I was a kid my folks were homesteading. They planted all kinds of crazy heritage beans with the coolest patterns. I was totally obsessed with them and I don't think I've seen the same beans around anywhere.

Now I may need to go look some of them up. Maybe I'll plant a bean garden next year.

Tracy said...

Wow, I'm envious of your harvest! The yin-yang beans are really cool.

AddThis

Bookmark and Share