Friday, February 19, 2010

North Country mittens


I'm happy to have some knitting on the blog, since knitting blogs like the Yarn Harlot and Mason Dixon Knitting inspired me to start blogging in the first place. Actually, I also have to credit my friend Rachael's blog, which made me think I might actually possibly write something people would want to read.

Anyway, my DD (Darling Daughter) goes to college in what is referred to by we New Yorkers as the North Country. As you might imagine, it's mighty cold up there. She requested a pair of super warm mittens. As a knitter and as a mother, I had no choice but to oblige.

These are called Thrummed Mittens, in the Winter 2006 Interweave Knits magazine, or you can purchase the PDF for download here. (Ravelry link here.)

The yarn came from a yarn swap with friends, where we all brought yarn with which we'd made our peace and acknowledged that we were never ever going to knit with it. I love orange, so I snatched up several skeins! The fleece is from a local farm, though I've lost the tag now.

They were a lot of fun to make, although a bit slow, because I had to take the time to make the thrums. (The thrums are the white fleecy part.) To make them, you pull off wispy bits of fleece and roll them together slightly, then use the thrum instead of yarn to make the pattern. As you can see from the first picture, which shows what they look like when turned inside-out, the fleece thrums create a very warm layer. Also, wool felts (as you know if you've ever put a wool sweater in the washer), so over time, the idea is that the thrums will create a more solid layer of fleecy goodness.

Despite the bad dorm lighting, the recipient appears happy!


1 comment:

jodycb said...

hey nice work. I can't knit to save my life. I've done a little crochet but I'm a very impatient person.

AddThis

Bookmark and Share