Friday, November 13, 2009

Enjoying the season (and seeking seasonal gardening advice)



I miss blogging! You'd think with both kids at college, I'd have more time, but somehow the grad. school/working full-time/attempting to take care of other life tasks with intentionality seem to still cut into the blogging time. Fortunately DD came home and requested apple-picking, giving me not only a photo op but a nice excuse to slow down and appreciate the season.

The apple orchard was beautiful. (Rochester folks, we went to the Apple Farm in Victor and it was really nice. I believe they have a sale this week. And, they will be offering u-pick until we get a stretch of weather below 25 F.)



There were tons of apples on the ground. We grabbed a bunch for the chickens, who LOVE apples. We didn't know this, but you're supposed to ask first! They gave us a reduced price, but if you go, please ask first! (Do as I say, not as I do.)


T., Zoe, and I have also been enjoy walks in our local gem, the Mt. Hope Cemetery, perfect for spooky October nights (and the rest of the year).



And now, on to some less exciting pictures, but (for me) very exciting gardening. This is the first year I have tried to garden so late. You can see that I'm not the neatest gardener in the world, as evidenced by the leaves I haven't bothered to rake out and the dried stalks of dill still left. Here are some turnips and collard greens. I think I planted something in the middle there but it didn't come up.



Here is my arugula bed, which has pretty much been going strong all gardening season.



And here we have some younger collard greens and Chinese greens. They're supposed to be cold hardy, although I'm still covering everything on cold nights, since we've only had a couple of nights of frost so far, and it's supposed to be fairly warm still for quite a while.



Here's some kale, just coming up recently. Again, I'm hoping it will last through the winter, but I'm not really sure how these things work.





Swiss chard (and a little head of lettuce), which in my experience can survive for quite a while in the cold.

And more turnip greens, along with broccoli, which have little florets on them that thrill me to no end. Can't wait till they're big enough to eat.


Fall/winter gardeners, any advice? Will this stuff last? Do I have to cover it every night once it gets below freezing?

1 comment:

Heather said...

In my experience (in a milder climate, mind you) you don't have to cover them. Just mulch with straw or leaves around the base of the plants and they will continue growing very slowly through the winter. Then, early in spring you will be rewarded with vigourous growth and lots of early greens.

AddThis

Bookmark and Share