Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Dahlia season


September in the garden is fabulous. This is the first year that I have grown dahlias, but it most definitely will not be the last. I got these as tubers, back in May,at the Proud Market of the Rochester Civic Garden Center, from the Rochester Dahlia Society. They have done much better than any that I have gotten as plants. They're so big and bushy that I have tomato cages around them to contain their exuberance!


Most of my tomatoes were hit by the blight, but my tomatillos are very happy, as are the pumpkins twining around them.

I have had green beans ALL summer, and they just keep coming.


And for the first year, I'm planting a fall garden. Peas, lettuce, spinach, and radishes are all poking their heads up. Looks like I need to thin, which I have a very hard time bringing myself to do. It seems like such a shame to just destroy perfectly good little plants, so I usually try to transplant them elsewhere in the garden. It doesn't always work, but I feel better for the attempt.


More pictures of my September garden are at my September 2009 set on Flickr.

4 comments:

Kathryn J said...

I love dahlias. Your garden pics are beautiful! I have had my current batch for almost seven years; they even survived a winter outside because I never took the time to pull them in last fall. I'm not going to try that again this year.

hiro said...

Nice to meet you.

I was going to paste the link without permission because I had very felt the interest for your blog.

Please link me with the blog if it is good.

URL:http://hiro-anniversary.blogspot.com/

E-mail:h-mori@ibs-office.com

Heather said...

The dahlias are gorgeous, and I'm very impressed you managed to get a winter garden in. I had the seeds ready but no time, and now it's too late. Maybe next year!

Heather said...

I know I commented before but I'm back again. Still impressed!!! I love that red and purple clapboard.

AddThis

Bookmark and Share