Friday, January 30, 2009

Transcendentalism and 6 other things


Jody over at that which rolls tagged me to share 7 random things about myself and tag 7 other blogs. I just finished the 25 random things note happening at Facebook, so I am feeling in danger of over-sharing. But I like Jody's blog (which you should go read), so I'm going to do it, albeit through a bit of cheating...

1. I identify deeply with the American Transcendentalists movement. I couldn't possibly describe why better than Ralph Waldo Emerson (though I would use non-gendered language, of course):

"To speak truly, few adult persons can see nature. Most persons do not see the sun. At least they have a very superficial seeing. The sun illuminates only the eye of the man, but shines into the eye and the heart of the child. The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are still truly adjusted to each other; who has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood. His intercourse with heaven and earth, becomes part of his daily food. In the presence of nature, a wild delight runs through the man, in spite of real sorrows. Nature says, — he is my creature, and maugre all his impertinent griefs, he shall be glad with me. Not the sun or the summer alone, but every hour and season yields its tribute of delight; for every hour and change corresponds to and authorizes a different state of the mind, from breathless noon to grimmest midnight. Nature is a setting that fits equally well a comic or a mourning piece. In good health, the air is a cordial of incredible virtue. Crossing a bare common, in snow puddles, at twilight, under a clouded sky, without having in my thoughts any occurrence of special good fortune, I have enjoyed a perfect exhilaration. I am glad to the brink of fear. In the woods too, a man casts off his years, as the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always a child. In the woods, is perpetual youth. Within these plantations of God, a decorum and sanctity reign, a perennial festival is dressed, and the guest sees not how he should tire of them in a thousand years. In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair. Standing on the bare ground, — my head bathed by the blithe air, and uplifted into infinite space, — all mean egotism vanishes. I become a transparent eye-ball; I am nothing; I see all; the currents of the Universal Being circulate through me; I am part or particle of God. The name of the nearest friend sounds then foreign and accidental: to be brothers, to be acquaintances, — master or servant, is then a trifle and a disturbance. I am the lover of uncontained and immortal beauty. In the wilderness, I find something more dear and connate than in streets or villages. In the tranquil landscape, and especially in the distant line of the horizon, man beholds somewhat as beautiful as his own nature."

2. Whew...that was a lot to read, but don't worry, I got the hard stuff out of the way...the rest is pure fluff. So now I will give you some corny pictures of birds (which I can't seem to resist photographing, even though I know it's corny). I think this one is pretty cool...it's a Tufted Titmouse (no snickering) flying down to join the cardinals and blue jay below.



3. Another corny bird picture (I told you I was going to cheat a bit)...the Tufted Titmouse landed on T.'s outstretched hand. These birds are very tame. A lot of people visit Mendon Ponds, to hike, feed the birds, and in this weather, ski.



4. You can see more corny bird and nature (and family and chickens and maybe even a few decent actual photographs) pictures at my flickr page (screen name my45thyear).

5. I love making things (you knew that already...more cheating), but it gives me an excuse to show you the scarf and hat I made for my delightful friend Rachael, with a super-creative artist/writer's blog that was one of the inspirations for this here blog. In a swap for the scarf and hat, Rachael gave me the most amazing piece of art. You can get a peek here.




(Knitters...the scarf is Entwined and the hat is Robin's Egg Blue Hat. More details at Ravelry, screen name handcraftedlife.)

6. In fact, I love making things so much that I am making a surprise knitted gift for a completely unsuspecting friend, for no reason whatsoever than to let him/her know that I am thinking of him/her. Do you know who you are?

7. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I have an unusual thing for the serial comma. You don't know what that is? Obviously you didn't read what I said the first time.

Okay, enough of that...in the sidebar I've added a gadget to "Follow me," if you want to follow me through your own blogger page. You can follow publicly or anonymously. I'd love to have you join!

And now for the tags...like always...those tagged should not feel obligated to join, and those reading should definitely read the blogs I've tagged!

1.Berlin's Whimsy (beautiful photographs and thoughtful writing)
2.Elemental Stitches (fellow grad. student who does amazing embroidery...her most recent was a mandala)
3.Getting Stitched on the Farm (knitwear designer Kristin Nicholas writes about her process, and her life on a sheep farm in Western Massachusetts...it's lambing season now...don't miss her pictures and stories)
4.True Stitches (textile artistry at its finest)
5.Pipe Dreams and Purling Plans (knitter, spinner, designer, sustainability advocate)
6.Crunchy Chicken (pushing the green living/sustainability thing to a whole new level)
7. Pistols and Popcorn(just great writing about life in NYC)

1 comment:

ZenCrafter said...

Your bird pix are awesome! I wouldn't call them corny at all, unless that's what the birds are pecking at in the snow. I'm also a great believer in the serial comma. It's a great signal that the series of items in a sentence is about to come to an end. I also love using colons, semicolons, and, in blog comments, the bang!

AddThis

Bookmark and Share