Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A moment of quiet

The beginning of the school year is always hectic here, so I decided to harken back to a quieter time. Last spring, I visited New York City to see my son's orchestra perform at Lincoln Center.

While there, we went to the Cloisters. What struck me was how much religiosity was once integrated into people's daily lives. Now, I am not really a religious person, although I do have a spiritual practice of yoga and meditation, and consider myself Buddhist'ish. But, it seems to me that reminders to be present, grateful, and mindful can be useful, and to that end, I have a small Buddha on my desk.

I need even more reminders to take time to breathe right now, so I went back to look at some of the photos from that visit (see them all here. )


I think everyone should have their own personal angel fly in at the right time, don't you? Here's a close-up...


What a beautiful spot...


This piece particularly got to me, what will all my mother-son angst that's come with my oldest growing into an adult...


And even Medieval monks had a sense of humor...



I hope you are finding a moment or two of quiet, as well...

No comments:

AddThis

Bookmark and Share