Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Michael Phelps' mom

I know that Michael Phelps has won 8 gold medals.  (Perhaps I should confess that that's pretty much all I know...wait, I know that the opening ceremony was way over-the-top, and that there's a controversy about the age of the Chinese gymnasts.  That's what happens when you don't watch TV and get all your Olympic news from Yahoo and your 17-year old daughter. )

Look, this young man is surpassing all Olympic records, and what did he say after medal #8? According to Paul Newberry of the AP, he said, "There's so much emotions going through my head and so much excitement.  I kind of just want to see my mom."

T. picked up this article in a coffee shop for me, knowing that right now, I sometimes feel a bit superfluous in my 19-year old son's life.  Loved, definitely, but also most definitely on the sidelines.

But you know what? That's my job right now.  I noticed that Michael didn't say, "I can't wait to see my mom!"  He just "kind of wants to see her."  And mom is there, because that's what moms do.  We're there, beaming when our kids do great, picking them up when they fall, and holding our breath in between.

And you know what else?  I bet he couldn't wait to see her, even if he didn't express that verbally...I also read that he quickly found his family to give his mom and sisters a kiss.  It seems like no matter our age, we always want our mom to be there when we shine.

Here's to my shining ones...




No comments:

AddThis

Bookmark and Share