Saturday, July 5, 2008

Urban farm update

037

The chickens definitely make this feel more like a teeny tiny farm than a garden (the word "garden" sounds so rarefied).  They're in the gangly adolescent stage...more of their feathers are coming in, and they're starting to jockey for status.  They've started doing something that we call "chest butting."  They'll run towards one another and butt chests...I don't know how else to describe it.  I'm guessing this is one of the ways that they sort out the pecking order.  It's not clear to me how it's going to end up.  Sarah (above) is definitely the smartest, but Ella (the brown one) is the oldest.  


039

Billie is just kind of an oddball and she likes to follow Sarah around, so I think it will be between Sarah and Ella. It all kind of reminds me of the social dynamics of human adolescence, but with a lot less angst.


028


I cut a bunch of flowers yesterday...

065

This gerbera daisy started as 2 flowers which then grew together...you can see how there are 2 stems fused, and the petals on one side are larger.

064

And the vegetable garden is thriving...I've started a running list on the sidebar of how much I've harvested so far.

007

More flowers, veggie, and chicken pictures at my flickr set.


1 comment:

Dave said...

The chickens are cute. I had a pet chicken growing up and it was interesting to observe that she seemed as attached to me as I was to her.

AddThis

Bookmark and Share