Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Knitting in a post-Katrina world

video

If you're like me (and you may not be, in this instance at least), you can easily remain insulated from the latest news about car accidents, kidnappings, fires, and weather disasters. That's because I don't watch TV. And by that I don't mean that the TV's on but I don't pay attention, or I turn it on in the mornings while I'm getting ready for work. I mean I don't watch it. I put in a yoga video or a movie now and then, and that's it. I will save why for another post.

Back to such news items...many of them fall in the category of gossip. (There is a famous quote about that but I can't recall the quote or the author at the moment!) To me, news is something that impacts a large group of people and/or has policy implications. To focus on personal tragedies is not only exploitive of those suffering, it also diverts our attention from matters such as energy policy, war in Afghanistan/Iraq/Iran, loss of civil liberties under the current administration, you get the picture...

But sometimes I miss something that I really should know more about. Yes, I know there have been floods in the Midwest. But it took the following letter posted on Ravelry to really get my attention.

Letter from Carol Anderson of Cottage Creations:

Eleven years ago, Cottage Creations collected hundreds of items for the Red River flood that inundated Grand Forks, ND. Working with the Salvation Army, Paul and I and our friends, the Morrow’s, delivered hand-knit items there. The event was heart-wrenching-people were so appreciative. I’m sure many recipients were comforted simply by knowing someone else cared. I’d like to repeat the drive, this time distributing hand-knits to communities along the Cedar River (35,000 displaced in Cedar Rapids alone) and nearby tornado-ravaged Parkersburg. I will work though proper channels. After talking with Red Cross or Salvation Army people I’m sending out a plea to my fellow knitters for the following items: mittens, caps, scarves, afghans, prayer shawls, baby blankets, dishcloths, socks, infants, children’s and adult sweaters. If you’d like to participate-one or two articles is quite sufficient, mail or UPS any items to me before November 1st.

Please attach a card to items with the following information:
1) Name of item

2) Size, if applicable
3) Fiber content (most items should be machine washable and dryable)
4) If desired: your name and address and any word of encouragement.

Questions? 641.324.1280 or
cotcreat@rconnect.com or address above. Thanks..Carol Anderson

Send to:

Post office address:
Cottage Creations At the Farm on Deer Creek
Carpenter, Iowa 50426
UPS or Fed Ex address:

Carol Anderson
4562 Zinnia Ave. St.
Ansgar, IA 50472

A while ago, I wrote about knitting for others. In a climate-warming and post-Katrina world, where weather disasters have become almost commonplace, I want to remember that the people experiencing the disaster don't suffer fewer disruptions in their lives just because it's the fifth one of the year.

So, I'm going to make it a goal to send at least one item in by November 1. How about you?

No comments:

AddThis

Bookmark and Share